DISCLAIMER:

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to curse on this blog. If you are offended, too f$%&ing bad. As a result, content might not be appropriate for small children.

Also, my spelling is terrible ... even with spell check. I apologize in advance for any errers.






Thursday, February 16, 2012

Here's What Happened ....

I feel like I've said this story 3 dozen times already. So if you've heard it, skip this and go back to Facebook. If this is new ... this is what happened.

I had cancer in November 2008.
Was cancer free by May 2009.
Monitored my blood level for two years. Zeros.

Fast forward:
Jan 2012 - I was going to take a medication you shouldn't take if you are pregnant.
My doctor didn't mention this, but MY doctor (Chris) did and suggested I take a pregnancy test just in case. I was a little annoyed, telling Chris I hate taking pregnancy tests to make sure I'm NOT pregnant. I would rather take a pregnancy test when I think I AM pregnant. Then it would be exciting.

Groundhog Day:
I had to work the early morning shift on Groundhog Day to hang out with the crazy, old drunk men at the Slumbering Groundhog Lodge of Quarryville. I woke up at 2 am and peed on the stick. It kinda looked positive. Definitely not negative, but not necessarily positive. I woke Chris up. He was bleary eyed and put his glasses on. He squinted as he held the test up and smiled.

Not exactly sure what it meant, I said had one more prenancy test. I bought a two pack. They come in three packs, but I opted for the two pack thinking this was a waste of time and money anyway. Also, I bought the generic supermarket brand. I didn't opt for Clear Blue Easy. At this time, I think this is neither clear, nor blue, nor easy. I peed on the second one and it was odd colored as well.

I went to work, got off at noon that day and had a blood draw to see if I was actually pregnant. By three o'clock, Chris and I were both home and the results were posted online: Pregnant. Five weeks pregnant by the amount of Beta HCG hormone that registered in my blood. We were shocked and excited. Chris' birthday was the next day and I remember him saying, "We're having a baby. That's the best birthday present ever!" Ahhh.

We called the OBGYN Oncologist just to see if there was anything special we should do, given my previous history. She suggested an ultrasound to make sure everything was good. The first appointment they had was at 10pm. Who schedules ultrasounds at 10pm?!? Lancaster General does. So I set my alarm, took a nap, woke up at 9:30pm and went for the ultrasound.

We waited for the results. The tech brought over a phone, it was the OBGYN office. She said, "I'm sorry to have to tell you this Meredith, but this is happening again. This isn't a pregnancy." I was listening to her speak and looked at Chris and shook my head. No baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment