DISCLAIMER:

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to curse on this blog. If you are offended, too f$%&ing bad. As a result, content might not be appropriate for small children.

Also, my spelling is terrible ... even with spell check. I apologize in advance for any errers.






Wednesday, May 30, 2012

BINGO!

Today was a big day!

My wonderful mother-in-law Marcia has been my special guest, taxi cab and shoulder to cry on during this roller coaster since the beginning. Today it all seemed worth it. She picks me up early, we head to the lab for blood work, talk with our friends there, go to Dunkin' Donuts for coffee and breakfast while we wait for the results, then go to the Oncology office and keep our fingers crossed. It's become our Wednesday routine and the two of us have grown quite fond of it.

Marsh and I can usually tell by Beverly's face if it's good news or bad news. She's the first smiling face you see when you walk into Cancer Care for Women. Well, usually smiling unless she's received a "critical" phone call. That's when the lab doesn't wait to fax or e-mail critically low results. They want the patient and the caregiver to know what's up ASAP. Sometimes we walk in and Beverly shakes her head - that's when we know it's critical.

Today, on this bright, sunny 80 degree day ... nothing but sunshine and smiles from Beverly. I could feel it was going to be a good day. All the blood levels came back first: no problems ... platelets are back up, red and white blood cells are cooperating. That's what happens when you are chemo-free for a week. The only thing we were waiting on was the hCG number.

Kristen starts the chemo. Marcia and I start socializing with all our chemo friends. My newest friend, Kerri, is a 20-something cancer patient so I feel like we've instantly bonded on the "this sucks at any age, but especially at our ages. Losing your hair sucks too. And wouldn't it be more fun to  be at the bar on the weekends instead of managing side effects." It's that kind of "I get what you're going through" thing.

Two hours later, the number is in. Drum roll please .... 2.0! The lab doesn't count anything below two - so 2.0 = 0! Woo hoo! It's been a success. Now we keep on doing chemo for three more courses, just to kick it in the ass for good. That's six more weeks of chemo if I can do them all back to back. Either way, remember that light at the end of the tunnel? It's getting really bright.

Thank you God for taking me in your hands. Thank you to every soul who has prayed for me and sent me good vibes. I will survive because of all of you.

What a wonderful day.

1 comment: