DISCLAIMER:

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to curse on this blog. If you are offended, too f$%&ing bad. As a result, content might not be appropriate for small children.

Also, my spelling is terrible ... even with spell check. I apologize in advance for any errers.






Friday, September 14, 2012

Hospital Heels

It's finished and it was a success! What a crazy, anxious couple of days this has been. It's amazing the sense of relief I feel now that the surgery is over.

Chris and I arrived Tuesday and had several pre-op appointments. We felt calm and confident with the surgical plan. In layman's terms, this was the plan as far as I could tell:
1) don't get dead during surgery
2) get rid of tumor
3) keep uterus
I think that's pretty straightforward, right?
Well it worked just like that and now I get a little R and R for the week.

I'm also a little bit of a surgery rockstar. I am so special and so rare that I required two specialized surgeons in the OR. Dr. Gargiulo used the robot to do the cutting and Dr. Goldstein, the oncologist, was in the room to take a peek at what this mass really looked like and to help Dr. Gargiulo make sure we were cutting the right parts. Dr. Goldstein cancelled his clinic appointments for Wednesday just so he could be in the OR for my case.

In addition to that, I rocked my heels. Now I know many people go to a hospital to heal. But in my case, I brought my own hospital heels.

For several weeks I've been walking a little taller and strutting a little bit more when I wear my newest pair of shoes. Now I'm no Carrie Bradshaw, but i've been coveting a pair of Christian Louboutin heels for about two years now. I can rationalize anything, but after 6 months of chemo treatments, I decided I would be happier with the shoes.

It was my wonderful neighborhood girls who encouraged me to wear them when I put my feet in the stir-ups!! At least then everyone in the OR could see the red soles!!

They didn't pass the germ test for the actual OR, but damn did I class up the joint while I was wearing nothing but a hospital gown and my hospital heels.

If you are going to have surgery, you might as well have fun with it, right??

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy the surgery was a success!! God Bless the surgeons who did it. Love the heels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding choice in shoes! I hope your surgery went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mel,

    We love this post and the heels - you're rockin' them! We'd like to interview you for a small feature we're preparing for our NGO's blog (www.onewigstand.org) concerning wearing heels during chemo as a way of inspiring others to try it too and get uplifted during treatment.

    Please send us an email to info@onewigstand.org if you'd be interested and we'll take it from there :-)

    Thank you in advance and look forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete