DISCLAIMER:

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to curse on this blog. If you are offended, too f$%&ing bad. As a result, content might not be appropriate for small children.

Also, my spelling is terrible ... even with spell check. I apologize in advance for any errers.






Monday, July 23, 2012

WGAL: Part 4 - The Wig Lady

WGAL has been so wonderful and supportive during my cancer treatments. I'm always reminded of how my boss DanO took the sting out of telling him I was sick again with a little humor. He said, "I checked the Employee Handbook and you're totally allowed 2 bouts with cancer. It's 3 time when we cut you off." Amen, Brother. If we get Cancer #3, Chris is just going to take me out back and shoot me!

It's been devastating to be out of work for so long. I worked through a lot of Cancer #1, but that was Little Girl Cancer and I learned quickly this time, that Big Girl Cancer was a different story. But it's all the stories I've missed at WGAL that make me melancholy. I monitor all the e-mails that come in, watch the newscasts and get WGAL Breaking News Alerts on my I-Pad. It's just not the same.

Good old Lancaster City has had it's share of shootings and stabbings. Always makes for a good story and 5:00 and 6:00 live shot! (That's the slightly warped way journalists deal with tragic events!) I missed the whole Sandusky Trail. WGAL's coverage was second to none! Aces, as always. I love the energy of the newsroom when we are at are best, covering the breaking news, the stories that matter. It gets my blood pumping. Right now, the only time my blood is pumping is when I have to walk up a flight of stairs - blood pumping and some huffing and puffing, too!

All I wanted to do was sit at my desk and hear the collective gasp when Ann Curry announced she was leaving the Today Show. I wanted to call our Noon Producer Lauren right away for her take. She and I had a good time making fun of the outfits Ann would wear and how she would talk so fast you couldn't understand a word she was saying. I mean, it's sad her co-anchorship ended as it did, but there was no love lost for me. That's the morning you want to be with all your Newsie friends and dish about the industry gossip. I miss it there. Hopefully, without the poison pumping in, I will now get strong and head back to work at 100% - a new, cancer free person to share the desk space with Susan.

Here's the link to my 4th and final Cancer Journey story. Many thanks to the Managers for letting me do this series, to Kim Lemon for her gracious anchoring of them, and most of all to Andy - my friend and photographer - who really brought life to what could have been very depressing stories. You all helped keep me afloat.

WGAL: Part 4 - The Wig Lady


No comments:

Post a Comment