DISCLAIMER:

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to curse on this blog. If you are offended, too f$%&ing bad. As a result, content might not be appropriate for small children.

Also, my spelling is terrible ... even with spell check. I apologize in advance for any errers.






Monday, February 20, 2012

Pre-Port Party

I get the port today. I'm not feeling great about it. I think the anxiety of all of this is starting to build and quite frankly overflow a bit. So today's the day. There's no turning back now. Last time I had cancer, (still a ridiculous phrase that I hope no one else ever has to utter) I feel like I got away pretty unscathed. Kept my hair, no port, no scars, no mark with which to remember the illness. Can't get away with that after today.

I would like to say I apologize for my vanity ... my concern about losing my hair or my anger that the port will leave a scar ... but then I think, I don't have to apologize for a goddamn thing. I just hope the scar isn't too big, I don't want to have to be reminded of this awfulness every time I wear a strapless dress. And Mike Hostetler, the Sports Anchor at WGAL, would agree, I have good collarbones. He's a connoisseur.

So we had a small party, Beth and I. Chris was on call last night and couldn't partake in the imbibing. So my across-the-street neighbor Beth and I made up for him. She invited me over for Cosmos. How perfect. Truth be told, we skipped my preferred drink and came up with another delicious option. The Saint Tropez.

Mike might know collarbones, but Beth is a connoisseur of St. Germain - a wonderful Elderberry Liquore (is that how you spell that? "Lick-CORE" is what I'm going for, not lick-her) that she discovered three summers ago. We would sit at her pool, drink a light, refreshing St. Germain Cocktail (or four) and then float in the sunshine. By the time we sat up straight, the sun and drinks would go to our heads so quickly, there was no way we would stay on the raft. It was a fun summer. And it's a fun drink.

So for the "Pre-Port Party" Beth did a little recon work. She discovered an entire St. Germain website.
St. Germain Recipes are just a click away!
After trolling though a ton of viable options, we landed on the Saint Tropez (get it, Saint for Germain + Tropez sans the San). Dee-lish. We had three. Talked about how this cancer sucks. Didn't linger there long. Chatted about all other things important, like recent trips and fun memories and plans post-port. Then I stood up and recalled quickly how we felt those summers in the pool. Thank God I live across the street. It was a quick commute home.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Meredith, I'm Kim and want you to know I am praying for you as you fight this cancer. Your mom is a precious friend of mine here in NC and I have also met your sister and sweet niece/nephew. Just wanted to introduce myself as your newest follower and prayer warrior! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Meredith - just to let you know, that we are following your strugle and fight - here in Denmark as well, and send you our best wishes and hopes for your recovering - I am sure, that you are in the best hands for your treatment - love to all of you and your family
    /Anne Marie Jacoby (your fathers cousin)

    ReplyDelete